Tuesday 20 March 2007

Aprés Noel ~ Whose coat is this jacket by here?

Aprés Noel ~ Whose coat is this jacket by here?

With Barnelshire* Christmas comes family
A familiar, heavy and warming coat
Around my shoulders.

I wear it proudly.

It keeps out the wet, this raincoat of mine.
It keeps in, the warmth of us.

We wear each others Leathers
We wear each others weathers
Making sunshine at the hearth.

We are like feathers in an eiderdown
Soft in our touching.

I understand the insides of your slippers.


And now, maintenant, across the Janvier frost at St Hilaire
A colder, alien breeze blows.
A white eiderblanket ~ big enough to cover everywhere
And everything.

I could do again with a warming cloak about me
Family of mine.

Are you cold too après Noel?

I have just that jacket
Spare
Pour Vous?
Tu.

© by Vernon Goddard

* My poetic licence ~ my UK family live in Barnsley, Wales and Derbyshire. I have combined their locations in Barnelshire.

No comments: